Monday, June 29, 2009

I don't get lost any more

by Stuart O'Connor from guardian.co.uk

Actor Rachel Shelley thinks of herself as a luddite, but is still marvelling at her new iPhone

What's your favourite piece of technology?
I have to admit firstly that I don't have many. But of the ones I do have, it's my iPhone. Probably it outshines my laptop because it's still new. I only got it a month ago, and I'm still marvelling at how fantastic it is.

How has it improved your life?
I don't get lost any more, which to me is just fantastic. I've spent so much time away from London in the past five or six years, and coming back I realise I've forgotten my way around – now my iPhone tells me where I am. It has made life a lot easier.

When was the last time you used it, and what for?
This morning. I find that I can have a really sneaky lie-in and feel like I'm doing some work because I can reply to emails and read the news – do all that kind of stuff. I feel less guilty doing that on my iPhone than doing it on my computer.

What additional features would you add if you could?
You can't text photos – or if you can I haven't figured it out – so I'd like to be able to do that. And it would be great if you could use it as a walkie-talkie because I now have so many friends nearby who have an iPhone.

Do you think it will be obsolete in 10 years' time?
Definitely. I think the way technology will keep on improving I'm sure everyone will have a videophone.

What one tip would you give to non-iPhone users?
That the texting takes some time to get used to – it was the one thing that almost put me off. Once you get used to it, it's actually very good. And don't overload your phone with lots of applications and games, because it does cause it to crash.

Do you consider yourself to be a luddite or a nerd?
Generally a luddite, but with sudden unexpected peaks of nerdiness which surprise even me.

What's the most expensive piece of technology you've ever owned?
Probably my MacBook. I'm not big on technology; I only get what I need.

Mac or PC?
I've always been Mac, so I guess I always will be. I can't imagine I will change now.

What song is at the top of your iPod's top 25 most-played list?
At the moment, a sudden entry at number one for me is Paper Planes by MIA and AR Ramen, from the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack.


Will robots rule the world?
No, I think that's a crazy idea.


What piece of technology would you most like to own?
I do have a fantasy piece of technology that would do my food shopping for me, and if you wanted to you could probably employ a butler or a maid. But I'd like to have a fridge that restocks itself. I don't know what you'd call that – an automatic restocking pantry?

No comments:

Post a Comment